Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What hardware could I use to replace wired ethernet with wireless? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidd31415

Programmer
Jan 25, 2006
US
What hardware could I use to replace a wired Ethernet connection with a wireless connection?

I have several devices that use wired Ethernet connections and I would like to find a way to use them with a wireless connection. These are data acquisition (DAQ) devices, not computers, so installing a wireless card is not an option.

I'd like a connection like:

[DAQ] ---wired--> [ROUTER] ---wireless---> [ROUTER] ---wired---> [DAQ CONTROLLER]

I'm not sure if this can be done with routers alone. Is there a term I can use to search for tutorials for the type of networking I am trying to set up?

I am also interested in how to increase the range between the two devices used to create the wireless connection. Is there a term that will help me out Googling here as well?

Thanks,

David

In my small warehouse i have a PC & a label printer (no wireless card in the printer very expensive) and no wireless in the PC.

The PC and printer plug into the switch (wired ethernet)

A cisco 1200 wirelesss access point configured in WORK GROUP BRIDGE mode connect to the switch by ethernet cable - cat 5e

And the bridge

connects to another wireless access point (by wireless) in the larger warehouse - which then connects to the rest of the network by cable

(The PC in the small warehouse has acces to the entire network - through the large warhouse)

so i think a wireless bridge could work for you

I'm not sure how to increase the range of the wireless but the cisco 1200 are designed for outside use and there is a road between my two warehouses

Thank you Helenp1983. It sounds like a bridge is what I am looking for.

"Boost" and "range extension" are two search terms the provided me with many hits discussing increasing wireless range. About.com summarizes a few choices here: I will be looking into the pros/cons of the different solutions in the future.

Thanks again,

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back