Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what happened to TroyTec ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

confucius

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
US
Why has TroyTec stopped selling CompTIA and Microsoft study guides ?

12/19/2001 -- The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) has settled its second lawsuit this year against a test prep company it accused of violating the organization's copyright by allegedly selling study materials containing questions that appear on CompTIA exams.

The organization filed suit against Troy Technologies USA and its owner, Garry L. Neale, in the United States District Court, Western District of Texas on Nov. 28 (The Computing Tech v. Neale 5:01cv1078). The case was settled earlier this month.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CETsr,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Thank You Glister for responding i can always count on you!! What was the result of the lawsuit ? Does CompTIA have lawsuits against anyone else? What about all the other sites selling " Brain Dumps", Exam Crams ect?

CompTIA settled with Troytec, MS pushed it and only managed to piss-off the trial judge who gave Troytec a small fine. The judge told MS he would not be their lapdog and do their bidding. He told MS to take their case to civil court.

All this has put some fear into the drainbump market so now all the really bad offenders are located off-shore. It really pays to stick with the mainstream vendors who have a good reputation. Don't fall for the "pass guaranteed" ploy.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CETsr,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I used ITCertkeys Server + (SK0-002) study guide for an exam but it did not help. I did not pass the exam and I memorized over 500 questions and answers. I need a guide like the one I used from Troytec to pass Network +. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need to pass Server +. Thanks!

man, you can't imagine how bad that sounds, "I memorized 500 questions and answers... " It seems like after memnorizing 500 questins and answers you might have learned SOMETHING. guess not.

Get ready for another wake up call because the Server+ exam is tough. My best advice would be to actually learn the material (novel concept).

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Well, I didn't mention that for you to insult me. I actually passed the Network + through a study guide with Q&A. I only studied it for about a week and pretty much memorized what I needed to know. Certs are just that. To me they really don't mean anything even if you pass, it's the experience that really counts. But in the IT field, companies are demanding that piece of paper so I'll give them what they want. I can learn anything I want. I have a degree in Computer Information Systems and have spent thousands of dollars on my degree for companies to now put more emphasis on a certification exam. So my main concern is to pass the exam. I don't care about all the other mumbo jumbo. I need the cert. To me the cert don't really imply whether or not I can do the job or not just that I can pass an exam. So the cert is what I'll give them.

I think you are missing the point of certs. They don't measure how much money you spent, they measure how much you actually know in a particular "field". I think the point that glister is trying to make is you should know the material, because during an interview, most professional businesses will be able to sniff out that you indeed are paper certified.
Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you can learn anything you want. As it is, if you take this path for certifications, does that mean you took that path for your degree?

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back