Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Happened to my LAN seeing the *nix machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeager

MIS
Aug 4, 2002
US
Up until two days ago, all of the PC's on the internal LAN could see the SCO Unix box when viewing "My Network Places" on their computers. Nothing in the environment, naming convention, or way of IPAddresses were changed. The Unix box is still pingable from all over but will not show up in the listing. Host and host.equiv have not been changed.

Anyone have an idea where I might start looking?

No WINS change ?
Will the SCO box run VisionFS or Samba ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks. Samba not on system, neither is VisionFS. Guess I'll just muddle thru.

interesting. how did u get the SCO box on My Network Place

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

I have two SCO Unix boxes. The production box is visible to the MS network. The development box is the one that went away. Normally from an MS box all that needs to be done is to add a host using their IPAddr and it will find the machine and post it to the network using the host name. All here worked fine till last Wednesday and then I could no longer see the development box. Couldn't get it back. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

TIA

You must have had some application running on the sco system that was advertising on the "Netbios" network. It does not show up there by default. Have you restarted the development system?
What flavour of SCO is running on these systems? (uname -X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back