Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happen to phin711? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSmitherman

Programmer
Oct 24, 2003
US
Where has phin711 gone? I know his former company tanked, but I didn't think he would too!!!

I think it's the screen name of a Tek-Tips member.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Dexman is correct. 711 is one of the top phone minds in the business. He worked for a company where the owner let his girlfriend run the show and now the doors are closed. I hope he catches on somewhere! He was a big help with answering all types of questions.

Maybe he got smart and got out of this industry to something more stable like a nice hotdog stand :)

used to be running a pair of wire would get a person some dialtone, now ya gotta go through half a dozen servers that keep wanting to go belly up... no more 99.99999% reliability now that it is all going to the network which has to be 're-booted' every month to fix issues.....

:)

Excellent post grumpyone60. I couldn't agree more!

The simplicity of analogue on a pair of wires!!!

I agree with you over 99.999999999999%!

....JIM....

our pbx has been running 20 years, not one time has it been down. constantly changing, replacing, rebooting servers, switches, routers, ect.... I also agree !!!!!! We fight tooth n nails everytime some IT guru suggests voip

we got a "new and improved" system in November with all IP sets and seeing that the old system was up and running since the big black out in 2003 without as much as a hick-up the new one went down 3 times since then, all self inflicted by the IT guy or our own techs making changes and rebooting on the wrong level but still pathetic for a phone company.
I love the old digital sets without the dependency on the network being up, you can work without the damn computers for quite a while but once your phones stop working you are screwed. Somebody should tell people that running an extra cable (voice) in addition to the data cable is no big cost if you want your phones to work.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

insanity is just a state of mind

Yes, and just this week my company has moified the Org shart and "dismantled" the telecom dept. and moved us to the IT Operations and Service Desk Dept's... this should be real interesting to see what is next,,,

The hot dog stand idea is looking better every day, ???? Good Luck IT Dept. :)

-> avayanooby : Keep fighting, it is worth it!
"IP telphony, now with speech" is what we have.

///doktor

I've worked at companies that wanted to GO VOIP, but they had a hard enough time getting IP over their network much less throwing voice on it lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

As much as I want to rant against change I do like my hybrid environment. I get to keep good ole reliable digital sets and route all my tie traffic over the MPLS that comes out of the data guy's budget.

I just bought a hybrid system too and will be installing in the next month or so. I have all the traditional telephony that I'm comfortable with, but also a bunch of IP and softphone capability for those few that actually need it.

I made the same point to management. I said how often does the network go down?? And followed that with "and how often do we have telephone problems that have anything to do with our own systems?" Do you really want to go through life with no computers AND no phones, cuz that's what's gonna happen if we depend on that network solely for our telecom needs, plus it has nowhere near the capacity or equipment to handle the traffic... At our place when the network goes down everyone says "oh, the dang computers are down again - surprise, surprise." When the phones go down they are screaming for blood the second the lose dial tone. Funny thing - there are around 900 computers in this organization and about 1300 phones. There are 12 people in the IT department, and there is one of me!

So I chose to stick with the tried and true, yet not be resistant to the future and add-on all the IP goodies alacarte...

We are 90% pure IP. Be happy when 100%

Office moves / relocations, pah, off you go. Just plug them in.

Failures? Nope lost me what are they?

Are you mean a power failure, thats ok, autoredirect to a backup site. Ahh you mean the systems died, ok, hot standby just kicked in.
Ah remote working, sorted. Oh you want voice mail to go to your blackberry, sorted.

Ah so you want 3 agents in that offce, 25 in that one and 47 in that one to see each other status and be in the same hunt group. Sorted.

Site burned to the ground and all phones destroyed. Ok use your laptops and I'll have a phones set up and I'll set up a new 100 seat call centre for you in a couple of hours.

Yes you could drive a truck into an Option 81 and the bugger would keep going, but I'd say we've slashed our day to day rubbish, such as rewiring, moves, group changes by about 95%

So as I keep banging on, if your infrastructure is sound, so will your system be.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

So as I keep banging on, if your infrastructure is sound, so will your system be.
This is the problem, a lot of smaller sites do not understand the networking implications.
I am with Westi IP Telephony does have its place but use the right technology in the right locations & not just IP for the sake of IP.

contry to the sales hype that says 'it is bassed on standards that your IT team already know making it easy for them to administer directly" for smaller customers it usualy means your data network now needs configuring in a way you it dept do not understand so they can nolonger manage your data network either.

TDM for internal phones
IP handsets for homeworkers & small remote offices
IP links between larger offices.

This is of course purely a pesonal opinion & subbject to change as circumstances dictate.

My problem is our IS department - and I'm not just saying that because I'm the telephony guy and they are IS. They are either pretty much clueless or have their hands tied because corporate won't give them the money to do the job right.

We have Cisco wireless in place, but we don't have POE switches, so most of the data closets have big bricks of power injectors all zipper-tied together and plugged into power strip on top of power strip just waiting for the inspector to nix the whole thing.

Then we have the bandwidth issues - multiple T1's between some sites are still not enough, but they can't afford PRI, and our main facility sometimes slows to a crawl in the afternoon when everyone is slacking off and surfing the web, or all of the radiology images are being reviewed, etc. Not to mention our remote connectivity to all our sites is through a SINGLE DS3 connection. Think christmas lights - when one goes out, they all go out! I was stubborn with my voice circuits and refused to combine them all just to save a few bucks - I figure if one clinic goes down I still have all the other ones running and only have one facility screaming at me instead of 9!!

Telling them they have to give voice priority over data would send them spinning off into a frenzy they wouldn't know how to recover from if they tried.

Generally at least a couple times a month the exchange server is getting rebooted in the middle of the day, or the internet connectivity supposedly goes down, or some moron opens up a virus and the network slows to a crawl while they force-scan all 900 PC's on the network (only to have the one guy that was on vacation plug in his laptop and start it all over again...)

So my post above considers other companies that are probably in the same predicament as me - That's why I'm happy to choose a hybrid. I can still have all my TDM reliability, plus I have the IP for the home workers, special circumstances, and the soft phone client on my laptop so I can keep my same extension no matter where I go in the network.... I do agree that I would simply LOVE the moves and changes aspect of it, but in a way, unless you can afford to have every jack in your facility ported to a switch all the time you either have to go to the rack to port the user's new location and disconnect their old one to save resources, or run to the IDF and move the cross connect, so I guess that's a horse apiece if your move is within the same facility. Moving extensions between facilities would be a big boon to me - I'm in a situation right now where I need to relocate 200 people out of a building and because that dial plan is so speckled I can't move the departmental groups of numbers in blocks - I have to renumber all 200 of those users - THAT'S definitely worth suck points!!

Two years ago we replaced our aging digital PBXs with VOIP. I was pretty sceptical and wanted to go hybrid but was over ridden. Before changing out the phone system the network was upgraded to a gig network and all POE switches. We also installed backup power in all of the network closets with a minimum of 90 minutes backup. Our remote sites are connected with fiber. Is IP telephony worth it? It works for us but it cost a ton of money to get to where we are at. We've got a lot of bells and whistles that folks have come to rely on. In the end folks expect their phones to just work.

I work for a smallish company in N, less than 200 for what it is worth. We had the option to go with either a traditional telco PBX or a VoIP solution. We already have Cisco people on staff so the CallManager solution was the way we decided to go. So far we have been using it for 5 months and I have to agree with "Sympology". We've had nothing but success. We planned our VoIP with the existing network infrastructure and laid it out properly and have had nothing but success.

Calls are crystal clear and we've suffered no downtime at all. The flexibility that the VoIP solution has delivered has been well worth it. We are now opening up branch offices and the job of interconnecting with a single dial plan is simple. Overall we've lowered costs substantially vs. a traditional PBX system. I've done work on numerous sites that host their own PBX and one with an Executone (an old model) is stil very very reliable, I won't say that VoIP is unreliable at all. more how knowledgeable your staff is when it comes to deployment and how it is deployed. Proper planning has brought about a very successful solution. Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back