Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What graphics card should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam577

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm buying a new computer (for my job) and am really confused about which graphics card I should get.

Could anyone recommend a graphics card that is suitable for desktop publishing and graphic/web design -- I use the Adobe and Macromedia Suites (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver), so am working with graphics most of the time. I don't need it for gaming at all.

Also, what is PCI Express? Is there a market leader, e.g. Radeon? What sort of spec should I be looking at? And how much should I be looking to spend?

I just want a graphics card that will be good enough for the job I do, and not over-kill (i.e. gaming). I have been recommended (by a salesperson) to buy an ATI Radeon X600 Pro, 128MB and PCI Express – is this suitable?

Many thanks
Sam

Are you scanning images and how large of files are you working with. This information makes making a choice easier.

If you are in office apps, don't worry, absolutely everything will have enough throughput.

All the hype with graphics cards these days only relates to 3D gaming.

Since you are going to spend your days at the screen, the requirements are for a comfortable display. I recommend that you find a card that has a DVI connector output, just any will do, and that you get an LCD monitor with a DVI (digital) input connector.

If your system comes with PCI Express, the cheapest cards (like an X300) are already better than most AGP cards on the market. As long as there is a DVI connector output, on it. Put the cost difference on a better monitor.

I do scan images. The largest files I work with are InDesign files and are just over 5MB.

I managed to convince management that a 20" TFT was essential :) but will check that there is a DVI connector output.

Many thanks
Sam

Scanning images does not have to do with the capabilities of the graphics card. So enjoy your new system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back