Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What function on InterBase SQL command that work like Len()

Status
Not open for further replies.

not24

Programmer
Feb 25, 2002
US
I ususally using MS SQL Server. I know just a little tiny bit about InterBase SQL command. I downloaded InterBase 7.0 trial and testing some sql command. I just wonder what function on InterBase SQL command that work like Len() on MS SQL command?

I looked through Language reference and searching some on google but I couldn't found any function that similar with Len(). May be I over look.

Could anybody help, please?

Len(string | varname)

To returns the number of characters in a string or the number of bytes required to store a variable.

This function work on MS SQL command. But I do not know if there is any similar function that I can use on InterBase SQL command.

Please advice,

The len() is not a 'built-in' sql command in interbase. You have to install/use and UDF library, eg. ib_udf (ib_udl.dll). This is a default udf, deployed with IB. The M$SQL len() equivalent function is the strlen() in it.

Hi Otto,

Where can I get UDF that you mentioned? I tried to search on google.com but didn't found anything yet.

Please advice,

It was shipped with the IB install (Program files\Interbase\Udf\).
But, here is a link for an another (very useful and free with source) udl which alse has strlen function:

Download the zip, unzip and follow the readme. After that, use have to install it into the IB running the sql\rfunc6.sql install script from the IBConsole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back