Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What firewall ports need to be open for Exch Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikorama

Technical User
Jun 8, 2002
US
I have a Win2K Advanced Server with Exchange 2000 Server and a Linksys Router.

I cannot get Outlook to connect to the Exchange 2000 Server as an Exchange Client when I am beyond the Linksys firewall. I can access the Exchange 2000 Server as an Exchange Client on all computers inside the Linksys firewall.

The firewall is preventing me from connecting properly.

All other 'public' features work like web sites, ftp, POP3 Clients and Outlook Web Access work just fine.

I have followed a bunch of articles about which ports to open on the Linksys Firewall. When I configure the Outlook as an Exchange Client, the user name and password connect to the Exchange Server to enable a name check, but for all other access it tells me my user name and password are incorrect.

Anyone have any ideas? Please / Thanks. [peace]

Thanks for the feedback. I've already read that KB Article. I found out what my problem was. In order for Outlook to operate as an Exchange Client, it must be able to PING the Exchange Server. If your server is behind a router or firewall with ICMP or WAN Request turned off, the Outlook won't make the connection.

Thanks for the reply anyway! [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back