Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What export option do you select when the report is in multiple columns? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernal

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
I'm working with Crystal 9 and I've got the data in multiple columns but what export option do I select to export it?

Thanks

I was able to get what I needed using a different program than Crystal.

Thanks

In the Details Section Expert, check the box to format with multiple columns

I've often faced the situation of being given a REPORT, often a pivot of some kind, on which to perform some analysis for the boss. And that's a challenge for a spreadsheet user, because rather than using data in columns, now you also have data in rows. Very dicey! Not to mention the spreadsheet problems related to wrapped rows with headings in multiple rows or multiple row types with headings in multiple rows.

Bottom line: reports make lousy analytics.

Reports are made to tell a story at a glance. Something a manager or VP might find useful.
If you've got to dig beyond that, your source should not be a report. It should be the place from which the report originated or beyond.

In almost every instance that I pulled data from business objects (stuff I could not get from our old Oracle databases) I exported a .csv simple table that I imported into my report tool (Excel) for analysis and reporting. If anyone needed DATA, I could give them the .csv to work with, NOT A REPORT!

It's is a waste of time to try to use a report to dig for data!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back