Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What events does Acrobat and/or the Acrobat reader produce that can be

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhphoto

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2003
CH
Hi there,

Background:
PDF programming is NOT my goal in life. I have a very large application that needs to print some of its output from existing PDF files. We are not creating them in code, filling fields in code, or altering them in any way from code. I just need to make the Adobe product work adequately as a PDF printer (from the shell preferably, instead of OLE or DDE) without loosing print jobs. If I submit 100 PDF documents to print, only 60 get printed (random order and dropped files).

Question:
What events does Acrobat and/or the Acrobat reader produce that can be used to determine when a print job is completed.

These can be either internal events that can be accessed by the Adobe Java Script in the document or externally accessible to other applications (Preferred). I have found DDE documentation that shows how to submit a job to print. However, there is nothing I can find to identify when the job is complete and pass this information back to the requesting application. (This is needed in order to not submit print jobs faster than it can print causing the 20 file limit to be exceeded and loosing print jobs). I need to submit 1 for print and not submit another until it has successfully printed the first.

If you have a short DDE script that could be used to determine whether the job has printed, I would greatly appreciate seeing it.

Thank you for any help in this issue.
JoelB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back