Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this scary exception mean? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrytype

Programmer
Jun 1, 2011
ZA
From time-to-time upon switching off my W2000XP-Prof I get exception "Can't write to x000000 etc. etc." with the options of "OK" and "Cancel"

On one ocassion I ignored the exception but when I tried to switch on again the system mould not boot-up. I ended up having to reformat the H/D re-install W2000XP-Prof.

I find the exception re-appearing but NOW I am a lot more careful and SWITLY opt for the "Cancel" option.

So far the system behaves and only ocassionally does the exception pop up ... but I am waiting for it and SWIFTLY opt for "Cancel". My problem being I have "automatic updates" which sometimes switch the system "Off" and "On" again without me being around.

WHAT does the exception mean?

Old Man Delphi

It would have been nice if you posted the ENTIRE message. And what operating system (2000 or XP)? Are you doing anything consistently when the problem happens?

It sounds like windows is having a hard time writing to some device. I could only guess that it is the boot drive without further information. But, in the mean time, why don't you get and burn the ultimate boot cd and run the manufacturer's test for the hard drive brand that you have.

Link At the bottom "mirror sites"

It could be that your hard drive is developing more and more bad sectors and caused that first no boot problem OR it just could have been from you forcing it off improperly.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I apologoze for the brevity of the exception but it comes-and-goes so fast I barely have time to jot it down without it carrying on to do ..... goodness knows what! Nevertheless the rest of the excpetion message is very similar to the first part reflecting meanginless [to me!] " x000000 etc", again.

>I could only guess that it is the boot drive without further information.
I don't follow why, upon switching OFF the system, the boot drive becomes relevant.

>burn the ultimate boot cd and run the manufacturer's test for the hard drive brand that you have.

Don't understand what is meant by "burn the ultimate boot cd" nor "the manufacturer's test for the hard drive brand that you have."

"It could be that your hard drive is developing more and more bad sectors and caused that first no boot problem". I have a problem with that since I have reformatted the H/D so wouldn't expect it to "developing more and more bad sectors".

"it just could have been from you forcing it off improperly." Don't understand "forcing it off improperly as I have simply followed normal shut-down procedure by clicking using Bill Gates' famous (?) "Start button".

Old Man Delphi

You have not said what operating system you are running, xp or 2000, they are different. If you don't know what "burn the ultimate cd " is when presented with the link, or that each manufacturer of hard drives, have their own diagnostic software to test the hard drive viability, I don't know how much help we can be, other than to take it to a professional. Why would you think that formatting a hard drive would in any way stop a sector from going bad? Do you know what a bad sector on a hard drive is? do you know what formatting the drive does? Formatting in no way repairs, or stops sectors from failing or becoming weak. To be able to read the error, turn off auto reboot on a blue screen.

Here's How:

Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.

In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

You could also go into event viewer and look for errors there for a clue also.

You could try re-seating the RAM. Memory creep is more common that what you might think, especially if the PC is a little older. I could be a portion of RAM not writing to the HDD and erroring.

Reseating RAM is as you might guess simply taking the memory out and putting it back in. It gives it a nice clean connection.

other than that, I would say your HDD could be on its way out. As suggested google "Ultimate Boot CD", or I prefer "Hirens Boot CD" there are utilities that will check, analyse and sometimes fix the issues with your drive along with a host of other utils to diagnose pc issues.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I'm sorry for any agitation I've caused.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back