Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this routing command mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NettableWalker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a load of 6509's running the OSPF routing in my new job: a large 3500 user LAN.

There are a few static routes on each as follows:

IP Route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 VLAN 112 xx.xx.xx.xx etc

what is the significance of the VLAN statement in the command? i have never seen this before.

From what I understand, it appears to Route 10.0.0.0 /24 to Vlan112 only, never seen that line before either.

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCENT+CCNA)

I understand "ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 vlan 112" because that is "route TO this subnet (10.0.0.0, mask 255.255.255.0) VIA this interface (VLAN 112)", which is the standard syntax. Vlan 112 is an SVI, but it is a valid interface on the routing device.
Not sure what the "xx.xx.xx.xx etc" is, though.

EB

Thanks Eurobadger.

I reckon you're right.

(The xx.xx.xx.xx was just the next hop IP address, i didn't want to have to write the full 207.211. etc etc)

cheers

OK, but I would expect a next hop address OR an interface not both

I agree, I have seen these statements used with HWIC interfaces which are assigned to a VLAN.

The VLAN is the exit interface, but again I haven't seen both that with the dest. ip addr either.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if this syntax is also usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back