Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does the CPU column in the sysprocesses table represent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fousek

MIS
Nov 29, 2000
US
I thought the CPU was measured in milliseconds in that table. But I see numbers in that column like 4788413 for user processes. What's the deal here?

Thanks in advance!

APF

4788413 milliseconds is about 80 minutes. How long has your server been running? Numbers like that are very typical for system processes. However, user processes at our site seldom accumulate that much time. But it isn't impossible. Have you checked what the processes are are doing? Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

TB - Thanks for your response.

Yes, I'm sure I have a user process. Actually, if I open a session in Query Analyzer and run "select * from sysprocesses where spid = my_spid" (over and over), my CPU value changes unpredictably. The kpid changes, so I think the CPU column is showing the CPU usage for that kernel id, not my spid. Does that sound right? If so, how do I track the CPU usage for my spid?

APF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back