Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does the Automatic mean after the preferred network name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg043

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
GB
The standard in my company is to have a HP laptop running XP Pro with internal wireless capability. Most of these laptops can connect wirelessly to our nework whenever in range, with no problem. I have one laptop though where the only difference that I can see is that the network name listed in the Preferred Networks part of the Wireless Network Connection Properties is followed by Manual in brackets. All the other machines have Automatic after the network name. My question is; what does this mean and how can I change it? I have tried highlighting the network name and clicking Properties -> Connection and un-checking the 'Connect When The Network Is In Range' checkbox, but this changes the word in brackets to On-Demand

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

Go to View Available Wireless Networks, click the link on the left that says, Change Advanced Settings, on the Wireless Networks tab, select the "Preferred Network" and click Properties. On the Connection tab, is the checkbox checked that says, "Connect when this network is in range."?

Bizzarely, The 'Connect when network is in range' checkbox is checked on both the functioning computer and the non-functioning computer. If I un-check the box on either computer, the word after the network name becomes On-Demand

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

Sounds like the ssid isnt setup correctly. Automatic means that it connects automatically where as Manual means that there is either a WEP or WPA key required.

The WEP key will be remembered even on manual connections and should not prevent you from connecting automatically. I'd try removing the network from the list and re-scanning.

Start, Run, services.msc

What is the status of Wireless Zero Configuration Service?
What is its Startup type? Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back