Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what does dllhost.exe do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakhan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2000
hi

can somebody explain what is purpose of dllhost.exe file

thanks

jahangir

Found this info in one of the books I got.

Process File: dllhost or dllhost.exe
Process Name: DCOM DLL Host Process
Description: The DCOM DLL Host process supports DLL based COM objects and is used by many Windows programs
Common Errors: N/A
System Process: Yes

Hope it helps a little

Some more of my rambling typing:

dllhost is the host process for all COM+ applications.
DCOM support module for DLL based COM objects (DCOM = Distributed Component Object Model). DCOM is a software architecture model which is an intrinsic part of Windows, of most Microsoft products, and of many non-Microsoft products. In most cases you should never see DLLHOST in your Task List, as, typically, DLLHOST starts, does what it has to do, and then terminates. However, sometimes, if a Java COM object runs (this could happen if you are browsing the Internet and come to a page which has Java code), DLLHOST may not terminate, which is when you would see it in your Task List.Recommendation : Do not ""End Task"" it as there is no way to determine whether DLLHOST has completed its task or not. For the more advanced users, however, deleting the registry key ""HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Java VM\MSDebug"" can often solve the problem of DLLHOST constantly appearing in the Task List.

I have seen some additional statements around the net about the Welchia virus affecting the dllhost.exe. Check out this website:

Have fun!

If you have a ASP script that has an endless loop (who hasn't done one of those before?) This is the process you need to end in order to kill the loop. Dont worry, it will open the process back up later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back