Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does DID Interdigit Timeout mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commtech

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
US
I have a lot of these , what does it mean?

The trunk lines that are generating the error codes, are calls completing? If the calls are not going thru, it could be because of noise or other problems that are mutilating the digits sent from the CO so the Legend is getting distorted or no digit sent to complete the call. You should be able to monitor the DID trunk with a butt set and place test calls to hear what is happening or use a digit-grabber or a TIMMS also for monitoring. Or you can use the butt set to place test calls directly on the DID trunk ckt to the Legend by first disconnecting the CO from the module then go off-hook and key in any valid digits to ring thru to a station just like the CO switch. Make sure you KEEP THE POLARITY CORRECT when you put the wires back, unless on a 66 block with bridge clips, because DIDs are POLARITY SENSITIVE! They won't work if reversed! If the problem is Telco you need to report the problem to them and you will need to identify the particular trunk that is in trouble. Different Telcos may have different ways that they identify DID trunks. Hopefully yours are marked. I would keep notes for your files. Another piece of info for DIDs that is helpful to have is the TRUNK GROUP NUMBER or NAME. The Telco tech person should provide this upon request since it is for maintenance purposes. It only makes everyones job easier when you have this info and include it when making a trouble report whether a LEC or a CLEC!

JIM

Ok then that is why we get a lot of people saying they are calling us and get nothing ! The line just goes dead after they dial !

Hi commtech,

From your response I see that the CO is placing the call on the trunk and because of whatever is failing the calling party hears nothing, hence the 'dead' condition. You may need to test all the DID trunks to verify which ones are working and not. With the dead condition if the calling party stays off-hook does it ever give a fast busy or just nothing? If a fast busy, is it from the CO switch or the Legend? What I'm getting at is to isolate the problem. If transmission is impared then NO digits will get thru! The Legend is 'looking' for digits to be sent when the DID trunk is seized, if none or partial it will timeout, hence failed call attempt. Perform tests from my previous response and you should be able to isolate the bad ones. Also sometimes the CO switch will put DID trunks on maintenance busy, because of conditions the switch might see, so if you find any you can't land with a call, first test the Legend, if OK then open a trouble ticket with the Telco or service provider. They should provide cooperative testing and you can request it.

Good luck!

JIM

I have this exact problem, dead air on incoming calls. It will be maybe 2 out of 10 DID trunks. After testing and isolating which trunks are bad I can move these to vacant ports and they work fine. Do a reset on board and these 2 ports work OK. After 2 to 3 days two different trunks and ports will be giving callers dead air.I have two 800 DID modules with 10 DID trunks. I have replaced the first DID card with no change. What kind of trouble might the CO have?

Your DID parameters, (maybe disconnect time)aren't the same as those of your provider.

Pepperz at newper dot net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back