Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does DA mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SynysterGregory

Technical User
Jan 13, 2006
US
Hi there, i am new to the forums and to the storage game, i am currently a complete begineer and have completed and passed a few of the EMC Foundation courses. The guy that is my mentor at the momment has set me a few questions to awnser and my mind has gone completly blank to what a DA is and stands for? Can anyone help please? Cheers

DA is the disk director in a Symmetrix System. It is responsable for all the IOs to the disk drives. To the hosts (front-end) you have SA (SCSI director), FA (Fibre Channel Director), EA (ESCON Director) and CA (Channel Director, very old connectors for mainframes-4,5MB/sec max).

DA stands for (AFAIK) "Disk Adapter".

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Thanks alot for that Chacalinc, i appreciate the help. I don't suppose you would happen to know if a disk attacted to a primary DA 2 waht its secondary DA would be? Cheers

"... if a disk attacted to a primary DA 2 waht its secondary DA would be?

It depend of the symmetrix model. Ussually, the partner DA is the right next to it.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

You wouldnt be talking about a Clariion DAE2 would you?

DAE2 - Disk Array Enclosure 2GB.

The question reads in front of me:

"If a disk is pyshically attached to primary DA 2 what is its secondary DA?"

Sorry to be a pain am just stuck and unfortunatley search engines aren't very forthcoming with awnsers for me. Cheers

There aren't any lol. Typical i would not worry, i'll blag it... Can you help with this?

What hardware ensures all disks can be accessed if a DA fails? (again no options)

It does not say but the previous question was to do with the Clariion CX700, if that makes any sense? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back