Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do paths do and how are they useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetspirit

Technical User
Mar 13, 2003
GB
hi there,

I've searched the FAQs and past forum topics, but can't find much info. I've bought a few computer arts magazines recently and in their tutorials they all use a lot of paths, but i cant see what use they have.

If anyone could tell me what paths do and what kind of advantages they have, I would be very, very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,
James G

In all versions of Photoshop, paths allow you to draw around a part of your image. You can then save the path and it doesn't take up much memory, which makes it ideal for saving selections. You can:

* Turn that path into a selection at any time
* Apply a fill or stroke (outline) to the path
* Create a clipping path so page layout packages have a ready made cut out of part of your image.

You can also save selections in channels, but they take up much more memory (although this does have some advantages). Another advantage with using paths is that they tend to have much smoother edges, especially when you create curved lines. Also, if you enlarge your image, paths retain their quality, unlike the rest of your image. Paths are also very easy to edit.

In recent versions of Photoshop, if you don't create a new path and start using the various vector tools (pen, shapes, etc), a new solid color layer is created, and the tools make a vector mask. In other words, the tools make filled shapes instead of 'normal' paths. Again, enlarging an image will not affect the quality of these shapes, and they still show up in the paths palette.

One of the best things I ever learned was how to use paths!!!!

Here is an easy tutorial on the subject that demonstrates waht they are good for.
Basically, a lot of those cool tech interfaces that you see here and there use a lot of pathing to get the smooth curves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back