Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what do network or system administrators need to know? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greetcup

Technical User
Aug 7, 2011
US
In the long run, I plan to become a network or systems administrator.

I was looking at a university program and some of the required courses are: Java, XML, Linux / Unix, .Net, C#, UML, SQL. Do you need to know these subjects to be a network or systems administrator? It looks like you have to learn a lot of programming code, I thought network administrators just deal with networks and routers.

And what is the difference between a network administrator and a system administrator?

Thanks.

Networks have to be managed,the wiring and routers are one group, now merged with the Telecom group for IP Phones.
The network has to have Security, so there will be firewalls, Domain controllers, Access Control, Directory structure and planning, and Storage management.
Systems will have SQL backends, Applications that use SQL databases and network storage, and user front ends, and have user interfaces that must be managed and configured, and client software.
There will also be Web-based systems, email systems, and integration of email/calendaring systems with smart phones.
The integration or separation of these roles depends on the size of the organization. In a small company, you can be a one-person IT shop. In a larger organization, things can be very stovepiped - there can be applications where different people adminster the front end and back end of the same system.
You should try to arrange some field trips to local organizations to learn about how their IT departments are set up, who does what, what the optimum eductional backgrounds are, what the work is like. A followup could even be a job-shadowing day for someone whose role intrigues you.
Another way of filtering the course offerings would be to take a look at the textbooks for the various courses - see which ones fascinate you, and which ones would bore you to death. Go with topics that interest you, where you would enjoy learning and mastering the area. You'll eventually diversify, but you've got to develop and interest and strengths on some area to start with.

Fred Wagner

Do network and system administrators actually use Java, XML,.Net, C#, SQL and so forth? That's all I really want to know. And if so, what do they use it for?

Programmers and Application Developers and Database Administrators use the languages. Some System Admin and Webmaster roles include some development work, where Java and XML could be useful. Are you in high school looking toward college, or in the workforce looking to renovate your skills ? I can give better advice if I know where you're coming from. Network administrators may need to be experts in Cisco's configuration language, or they may need to be good at setting up and administering Active Directory. It depends on the SIZE of the organization you're working with - how many locations on the network, how many nodes per location, how many systems - all kinds of variable. If you're going to specialize in network adminsitration, you're going to be dealing with the people in all of the other specialized areas. To give you a better answer, we need to refine the question... What size/type of organization to you see yourself working for ? Have you ever worked in IT ? Any military experience - IT or otherwise ?

Fred Wagner

I am just entering the IT workforce and I just graduated school with a bachelor's in Economics, and I studied and got the A+, Network+, Security+, and MCP. I would like to work for a large company but I don't mind starting out small.

After some research online I think I might like being a systems administrator and deal with servers and websites instead of cables like what network administrators deal with. Is it true that system administrators need to know some programming language like Java and C#?

With a bachelor's in Economics, you're primed for something other than an IT career - the certifications you're looking at are mainly for people with Associate degrees or less. If you're interested in IT, do your job searching based on your Economics degree, and let your IT interests enhance it - learn as you go. Have you set up a network at home ? At least a network attached storage box in addition to your primary PC or laptop ? Have you set up wireless access, with WPA2 ID's and passwords ?
Since you have the certifications, look for a job with a small company where you can be part of a small team, or where they have an outside consultant taking care of things now, and would like to have their IT support mainly in-house. With your Econ degree, you could also learn the Business side of the operation, and apply your IT skills as well. They may already have some kind of database application and email and web presence - learn how to use, maintain, backup, and restore those systems. You'll find this type of job mainly through personal networking - they won't be widely advertised, but they're around if you ask around locally. The new cloud-based Suites - Google's and Microsoft's - provide an opportunity - learn how to use them, and then be able to offer that expertise to a potential employer.
Yneed to get experience, not take more classes or get more certificates. Once you've been working in the field for a while, it will become obvious to you what you have an aptitude for, what interests you, and what you can get paid for doing.

Fred Wagner

Thanks for your input.

But I am still wondering if it is true that system administrators need to know some programming language like Java and C#?

Nevermind, you did answer it, I forgot. Thanks.

With a bachelor's in Economics, you're primed for something other than an IT career

Not necessarily. I have worked with people in I.T.from all sorts of disciplines and degrees. I.T. seems to attract musicians and writers. I once worked with a woman who had a PhD in Philosophy. She was an excellent report writer. She said making something such as a report that others use daily is what attracted her to I.T.

That's why I enjoy development. It gives me a thrill to see my handiwork in use.

I have associates and bachelors degrees in business, production control, statistics, and accounting. All of them have served me well in I.T. I constantly attenda seminars, read about new developments, and train on the latest and greatest.

It's not the degree that matters. It's the ability to think logically and clearly to solve problems. I think the process of obtaining a college degree helps train you to do that.

There are no definitive skills for network and system admin job skills.

Usually they are hardware based roles with knowledge of Active Directory, hardware configuration and PC components. Linux, Unix and windows runs on PC's and servers so would be relevant but many companies use one.

Java, XML, .Net, C#, UML and SQL are generally more developer based skills. Stuff programmers and database types use.
Having those would be more of a supporting skill for system admin or network admins that they may use a little but is not core to the day to day tasks.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back