Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do I need Crystal Reports or CE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmr0263

Programmer
Oct 24, 2003
US
I currently have CR 8.5 developer's edition running on my local machine. I have created reports that work great thru ASP and localhost. I now want to put these onto the web. What do I need to do to get this accomplished? I get really confused reading all the information about Crystal Enterprise. I think I probably need CE, but what edition? And how does it work? I don't know exactly how many users will be on at the same time, but I know more than 5.

Thanks in advance.
CMR

What is you need for the web ? Consumption only or users refreshing the data via the web ?

CE is the web-based distribution and scheduling product. If you have a distribution mechanism, already, then you don't need CE. Be aware that CR have a broadcast license that governs how reports created in CR are distributed. If you have CR, read your license agreement.

If you plan to have CE be the security mechanism and you want user accounts, then you must use CE Pro or better. CE Standard does not have user accounts, therefore no user-level security.

You need to know the number of users due to the fact that you will be purchasing licenses.

If you do not have an idea of the number of users or why you might need CE, then you probably don't.

Rod Oatis
Venturi Technology Partners
Crystal Decisions Certified
Trainer/Consultant/Developer
Rod_Oatis@hotmail.com

We are using CR for creating an application, the user fills out a form and from that, I create an application that they can print. Our application is only 1 page. We don't need any security, we handle that earlier in our process. We don't know how many users will be on at one time, I wouldn't guess more than 10-15 at a time.

So what do you think?

Thanks-
CMR

If you don't need the security and you have your own app for distribution, then CE would be unnecessary overhead. I lot of my clients have gone the route that you have taken.

Rod Oatis
Rod_Oatis@hotmail.com

How would I handle the multiple users? Aren't there licensing issues to deal with?

Thanks for all your help.

CMR

There are licensing issues to deal with, but I suggest that you speak with Crystal as they are constantly changing.

The big advantages to CE for me are:

-Out of the box WEB frontend which is customizable
-Users can Schedule delivery to various destinations in different formats
-Historical instances are saved

These are very time consuming tasks to code, and what most people want long term.

If you upgrade to CR 9, you can get a freebie 5 user license for CE 9:

-k

Upgrading to CR9 does not solve the issue of your application. CR8.5 and CR9 Devel have different distribution licenses, therefore they cannot be viewed as 'equal' products. CE may be the better route, in the long run for multiple users, but it is not a free item. More users will still cost you. Although, Crystal is giving CR9 reg'd users a copy of CE9 with a 5-user license, you will technically be violating your agreement your CR9 agreement with more than 5 users, because the users in the offer mentioned above are named users.

CR9 Advanced is the app that you'd need to service users via your application...at about $1500 more than the other editions.

Rod Oatis
Rod_Oatis@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back