Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haagar98

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2000
GB
Visit site
Iam at a point in my career where I need to make some big decisions and was wondering if anybody could give any TIPS;<br>I have 1 years of work experience in IT as a IT auditor and a MBA in CIS. I want to make a switch to a systems analyst or IT consultant.<br>How do i go about it ? What skills do I need to add?<br>Is it essential to have prorgamming expierence for being IT consultant,I don't have any.<br>Iam concerned that do I have a future as a systems analyst/IT consultant even though I have not done any programming ?

If you are an IT auditor, I assume you work at a large company?<br><br>If so, please list (don't use their real names) the last 5 people who have left your department, how long they worked in the audit department, if they left the company or were transferred internally, and what kind of position they took.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Feel free to call them A-E.)<br><br>How many people work in the IT Audit department not including your manager or director.&nbsp;&nbsp;And, approximately how many thousands of employees does your company have.<br><br>I think once you tell us this information, we'll be able to help you a little better....<br><br>Ghost

When you say you have no programming experience, do you mean it's possible to get through an MBA (I guess you mean with a concentration in CIS? Or do you have a masters in CIS?) without taking any programming courses, or do you just mean you have no experience with programming in the workplace?

Thanks for taking the time to reply;<br>In answer to Ghost's questions- Yes i work at a large investment bank,the internal audit dept. has 15 employees and overall there are 1300.last 5 people who have left in the past year ;<br>*John-was fired,joined a software company in QA after 6 months in dept..<br>*Mike-left to complete his MBA(last semester) after 2 years in dept.<br>*Lisa-joined Finance unit in same bank after 5 years in Audit&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>*Mary-joined Private Banking(Compliance) after 2 years in dept.<br>*Peter-joined NYSE after 2 years in dept.<br>Now even Iam thinking of making a&nbsp;&nbsp;move at end of this year and want to take a new direction as a Systems Analyst. I want your advice on what skills I need to add and how is the best way to make the move?<br>Like i have said I dont do any coding/programming but as an IT auditor review systems/applications and identify risks and improvements. Iam concerned that I will not be able to take up get a job as Systems Analyst as i dont do any programming? Is it true ? Can i try for any certification which will help me make the move?<br>Thanks in advance again.<br> <p>Hagar<br><a href=mailto:Haagar98@yahoo.com>Haagar98@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Systems Analysts generally have at least one language and often four or five.<br><br>Try getting into something main stream like VB - if you have a copy of Access you can learn Access Basic (similar to VB) and Access SQL (similar to SQL). These may put you off wanting to program...!<br><br>Certification to help you move would be MCSD - it'll guarantee not only a move but a good job too. Failing that and depending on your age, you could go junior programmer for a while to progress the &quot;honest&quot; way.<br><br>How about IT project management? If you are the right age (i.e. not 18), you know broad brush IT and understand systems and pitfalls, how about managing projects like new site installations, migrations and so on. You don't necessarily need to know everything about what you are doing, but have the business acumen to carry out the project.

Thanks Zelan,Elizabeth and Ghost - u got my brain ticking...<br>SO u say I could get into IT project management without having done mainstream programming ?not that i totally dont know coding- I have done some VB in college and in work but not mainstream application dev..<br>&nbsp;I have been IT auditing for 1 year now and know as u say - broad brush IT project&nbsp;&nbsp;guidleines, I am aware and can speak to all technology tools and know SDLC Risks(u learn a lot of that in IT auditing). Seems like IT Project mangement could be a match. So now the ques. is - how can i make myself look credible enough for someone to offer me IT project management job ? what's can i add to my resume-more IT audit expierence,more business knowledge, some certification (anyone know of a certification for project mgmt./Systems analysis) ? any practical, implementable career advice ? <p>Hagar<br><a href=mailto:Haagar98@yahoo.com>Haagar98@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You may find you have already done project management - it just was not called that...<br><br>Think of big stuff you have been involved in and list it as a project (telling the truth of course!).

Now I understand the question about CCP -- This sounds like it is exactly the kind of certification you are looking for.&nbsp;&nbsp;It emphasizes the broad business based aspects of computer science and even has specialty tests in Business Information Systems and Software Engineering.&nbsp;&nbsp;Process Engineering and QA are growing areas that could be real possibilities.

Hagar,<br><br>From what I see of others in your department, your company appears to be pretty good at moving people through audit to other areas (most crunch auditors up, lie to them about the amount of time they'll be in audit, and than tell them their only promotion is to audit supervisor).<br><br>I'd start making friends in the programming unit you want to go to within your company.&nbsp;&nbsp;Possibly consider asking for a lunch with that manager and getting informal approval from your existing manager to do so if you can.<br><br>Find out what qualifications they look for when they hire, and work the next year (on your own time if necessary) to get them.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure your possible new boss doesn't view the lunch as a promise to hire you, but rather your opportunity to learn what you need to work on to be the best candidate you can make yourself.<br><br>You will still be competing with outside talent for the opening....&nbsp;&nbsp;Remember a BIG component of your desirability as an internal transfer is how well you do in your CURRENT job.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back