Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do I do to setup a database-based website???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmnolen

Technical User
Oct 12, 2007
US
I've worked on quite a few websites using Dreamweaver. But I'm new to databases. I need to setup a website where users can search for churches out of a list of thousands of churches. They can search by denomination, name, location... Can anyone tell me where to start?

Start by learning how to design databases. This link will help you get started.

You will need to choose a database to use, and you will need to consider data security on the database and how to connect to your web application. You will also need to know how to write queries against your database. There is a lot to learn. I suggest that when you pick a database, you get a good book about that database and read it.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Do you have any programming experience.? This helps if you are planning on writing the application yourself.
For example , a typical breakdown would be :
Front end - html,css etc
Server Side - such as php, asp , to create the recordsets and manipulating information for the user and form the database
Database - such as MySql , or SQL Server , data repository , stored procedures etc

All the IT jobs in one place -

I have touched on html code, just barely, though. The sites I've worked on were in Dreamweaver and it does all the code for you.

Is there a way to put a database such as Access or Paradox on the web for user query access, but not edit access? We would like to post searchable, cross referenced data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back