Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do ethical hackers do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being an Ethical hacker/Security Consultant is a very cool job. Also, depending on who you work for or what your securing the pay can be high.

Another thing to think of though, if you rate a system as safe/hack proof and it gets hacked you have egg on your face and could be in severe trouble.

Its a great job that requires amazing talent, knowledge, forward thinking and a great responsibility to the organisation your protecting.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Also it will also give oppurtunity for hacking without getting caught..:)

What i mean is, some dangerous potential crackers may turn into ethical hakers, hence not wasting their talent for a bad cause.

Advanced Access training course and the classroom next to ours was an Ethical Hacking class. It took everything I had not to slip in the back to see what it was all about.

Kelly

I do not have CEH cert., but my job entails pen testing, forensics, and a great many other things. What bothers me, being in the position that I am in, is that people think of it as a way to circumvent the law. In a weird roundabout way I guess it is, but I can guarantee you if your boss or someone catches you doing something you weren't supposed to do, you'll face more legal response than you can shake a finger at. ;) It is a great responsibility, with the knowledge you hold, to not go to the dark side as it were. I've come across some pretty smart people, many of them a fair bit smarter than I, but I imagine they felt pretty small when I caught them red-handed. With that said, such a position can be very rewarding. I know it is for me. You learn constantly, you get to have fun while doing it too. Depending on where you are, you can come across a multitude of people.

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back