Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What direction should I take next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsmooth

MIS
Jun 28, 2002
US
I am writing a softare inventory database from scratch. I build a very firm foundation. I have all my tables. I also built a form for data entry. I have built 8 different queries. I built 1 query for each item I'm going to search for. When I tried to build a search form using all of the queries, so that you can search for only the applicable data and it won't let me do it. It gives me the error msg:

"You have chosen fields from records sources which the wizard can't connect. You may have chosen fields from a table and from a query based on that table. If so, try choosing fields from only the table or only the query."

What am I doing wrong? What directions should I take next?

Hi fs,

Sounds like your foundation is very weak.

I think that you have created your queries, then created a 'master' query that selects data from those QUERIES and ALSO selects the same data from the TABLES that those queries are retrieving data from.

In effect, you are retrieving the SAME data twice from the same table - at the same time.
I haven't seen this before, but I can understand MS Access' confusion (I'm surprised they coded help for this!).

Hope someone else can give you more info, but I think that you should read up on basic queries and data access to fully understand the basics first.

You could try losing the tables from the 'master' query (your sub-queries are pulling the data from them already).

Kind regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

why not just do one query to drive the form and do a filter by form?

Maybe that's where I need to be then. Let me see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back