Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Differences Between Fiber-Optic and Air-Optic

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesHMorgan

Technical User
Nov 28, 2008
RU
I have idea - what if don't use Fiber-Optic cables, but to direct laser to laser receiver (by air). Thus to organise communication between two points. What hindrance to do it and use air instead of cable? At least that in house conditions to organise high-speed communication between two computers

Quite apart from the obvious dangers to the health and safety of anybody getting hit in the eye by one of your lasers, comms will stop when the beam gets interrupted.

Stick to fibre optic if you really need that sort of speed...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

none of them do over 2km, fiber optic often can do 50 to 90km

none of them do over 1.5 Gbit/second, fiber optic can to as much as 10 Gbit/second, with 40 and 100 Gbit/second soon.

But it you need to connect two buildings with Line Of Sight but no Right of Way, FSO is a good choice.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thank you for the link! I never seen that devices, but has know about this opportunity, and now i can see, that cost of this device - $7,000 =) Of course - it nothing, than Fiber Optic better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back