Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Delphi version shall I upgrade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggratecc

Programmer
Jan 28, 2004
US
I am currently using Delphi 5 on Windows7, but would like to upgrade to
a new version that supports handling Access 2010 tables and Paradox 5 tables, so that I don't need any addins or 3rd party components.

Can you all give me some suggestions?
thanks,
Greg

Greg Rogers,
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

I would say get the newest version you can afford.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

sggaunt, thanks for your reply.

I have a new question now:
background: i have an existing delphi 5/ BDE application with about 20 users on a network. The Delphi app has about 6 tables with several native data aware components. There is probably more than 1000 lines of numeric analysis code behind this also.
Since my users are complaining about BDE and Paradox tables I would like to modernize this system as follows:

1. stay with Delphi 5 Professional.
2. install SqlServer Compact 4.1 on a network drive as the back end database.
3. install SQL Server Data Access Components (SDAC) for Delphi 5; then convert the dataaware components to the SDAC components and pointing to the new sqlserver Compact database for small number of clients (all clients will be read-only).
Do you guys see any problem with this?

Greg Rogers,

Hi Greg,

I don't see any problems with that.
Maybe you can opt for SQL server express 2008R2 instead of SQL CE, which is a far more robust solution..

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Sorry that was a bit flippant, and of course the newest you can afford might be D5!
WRD is correct about the DB addons, but as far as the basic Delphi usability is concerned things tend to date, components written for D5 don't get updated etc.
Thats worth thinking about, but if it isn't causing any problems stick with it.
I would say that without taking the leaps into newer fancy 'windows' stuff then Delphi 7 might be a useful upgrade.
I moved from D4 to D7, and the difference in 'usability' was obvious, I have to say I have not used 5 at all!!
Newer versions 20XX, XE etc made such a big change to the interface that you might find it difficult to get used to.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

/Daddy,
thanks for the confirmation and suggestion.
I don't have the R2, however just discovered I have Visual Studio 2010 pro which supposedly includes SqlServer 2008 Express (no R2).

I'm going with that as I'm thinking it will be robust enough for 20 users max.
Greg

Greg Rogers,

SQL Server 2012 Express Edition can be downloaded for free from here: The differences in features, compared to the full-blown non-free versions, are listen here: It's available in both a 32 and a 64 bit version, has limited database size, memory and CPU-usage, but has no limitation on the number of simultaneous connected clients. A lot of misconceptions are countered here:
As usual, get the newest you can get/afford, and for this baby, the price is right :)

Tonhu and others: thanks for your replies!

status: My company gave the SQLserver 2008 enterprise disc today, so that is now installed on my Windows 7 pro server. I am now installing SP1 to it.

I think my next task is to order the , SDAC product.

I'm looking for anyone who wants to comment about Delphi and SDAC components???
For an end result, I'm looking to a application executable file on the fileserver that clients can run directly and NO client installation required.

Greg

Greg Rogers,

Your D5 should have access to the ADO components. If so then you don't need to buy the Devart component pack.

@DjangMan - I only have Delphi 5 professional, it only has the standard data components - NO ado.
I found out you needed tohave the D5 enterprise version to get the ADO included.

It's no problem, I can spend $200 and get the Devart components. Main thing is I need compatibility with the existing Tdatasets and Tgrids.
Also, need to distribute this app to users without BDE.
status: I've have got the Sqlserver 2008 running and can connect with odbc!
Q: should I create tables in the default database or should I create a NEW database in this instance?

Greg Rogers,

Create an application-=specific database, much easier to maintain in the future. Be sure to have the database name as a configuration item in your application, that'll improve the quality and portability of your app.

TonHu,
will do as you recommended above.
I did create the new database, populated it with two tables and setup a readonly user acct.
I proved I could connect to this new database using SDAC demo apps.
GGR

Greg Rogers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back