Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What changed in BROWSE between VFP6 and VFP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataccount

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
US
Maybe I missed a configuration setting or something, but in every version of FoxPro since it's inception through VFP6 the BROWSE window displays the table records with the currently selected record outlined all the way across the window. As you move the record pointer up or down you could still see which record you were on regardless of which field the cursor was located in.

I just installed VFP9 and noticed only the field where the cursor is located is highlighted - none of the other fields on the selected record have any border marking. This makes it nearly impossible to scroll down the records and keep your place. I went to another machine where VFP7 is installed and found the browse window displays exactly like VFP9.

True, this is how records appear in Excel, but this isn't Excel. Will someone please tell me what I missed. Thanks.

Jim

I don't remember if that was different in VFP6, but there is a record mark at the left side. And sorry, there is a mark around the whole record. In VFP9 I see the gridlines of the current record blue instead of black.

It may depend on defaults/settings.

What you might like is:
Code:
Browse name oBrowse nowait
oBrowse.HighlightStyle = 2

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks, Olaf. What you see in VFP9 with the gridlines of the current record blue instead of black is what I see in VFP6 and FPW. The blue outline of the current record is not shown on my installation of VFP9 or VFP7, so as I suspected, it must be a configuration issue.

You are right, I do like the appearance your code creates - it reminds me of DOS. However, "HighlightSytle" is not available in VFP7.

Anyone know what configuration setting I missed affecting the basic BROWSE command? The same quirk present when issuing the BROWSE command from the command window follows through to the end user .EXE application. Thank you.

Jim

If anyone else ever has this problem, I did find the answer. Microsoft changed the default behavior of the simple BROWSE command in VFP7 and later versions. To illustrate, open a table and type BROWSE from the command window in VFP7 or later and the current record will have only the selected field highlighted in the window. VFP6 and earlier versions will show the grid on the entire row highlighted in blue. Closing the window in VFP7 or later and entering BROWSE LAST will then display the entire record highlighted in blue as in previous versions???

This became a probem for us, because we have several older clients with FPW26 applications that we want to convert to Visual. With other clients in the past we have performed a "Functional Conversion" with VFP6, giving the client an immediate VFP application, while we re-write the various modules one-by-one into VFP6. (A few chose not to go any further.)

We tried converting one client using the "Functional Conversion" in VFP9, and encountered this BROWSE problem. So, it's back to VFP6 for now.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back