Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What causing windows installer to keep running on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have a windows xp home machine that when it starts up the floppy disk continues to light up like it's looking for a disk. I loaded the Process Explorer and found that it is the msiexec windows install program. So obviously it is trying to install something. Does anyone know how to find out what it is trying to install? Where to look in the registry? I tried the msconfig and HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentverison\run

Some things to look at.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Line 94 - Windows Installer Fix
Line 348 - Windows Installer Issues

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available

A: drive always wants to be accessed
thread779-864872

Stop Windows from Randomly Searching the Floppy Drive

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Thankyou for the suggestions. I had thought I'd better make sure I had all the windows updates. When I clicked on windows updates, it found and downloaded one update and then a screen popped up and asked for the Microsoft Money CD. I removed Microsoft Money and all is fine. Thanks again for responding so quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back