Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what causes transfer interrupted errors & how to prevent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybabe

Programmer
May 13, 1999
US
Periodically, we are finding that Netscape inserts &lt;h3&gt;Transfer Interrupted&lt;/h3&gt; errors into our pages. It seems to be happening toward the top of pages and the content below it is being affected. This problem tends to resolve when cache is dumped, but it's cropped up twice in the last week.<br>
<br>
What is causing these errors? At first we assumed it was a corrupted upload, but it's not happening across the board. The users that this is happening to are *swearing* that they're waiting for the page to finish loading before clicking links, but you know users......<br>
<br>
I can't get it to replicate on my machine, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me insight into what causes it, and how we can fix it.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Laurie<br>

NS displays this text when it has started to process content returned from a web server but the flow of data in to the browser stops before it detects the end of the document. It most usually happens when loading a very big page, the user gets bored, and hits stop. I have seen it happen due to timeouts at the browser or server end, or network interruptions as well. None of which is particularly helpful when trying to track down the problem unfortunately :-(<br>
Is it a particularly large page, or is the user the wrong end of a WAN ?

Cause: Either user cancelled the process or dataflow was irrecoverably interrupted<br>
Remedy: Ensure clean, clear flow of data between host system & client system....ensure that client doesn't get bored and click the &quot;Stop&quot; button<br>
<br>
Other than that....there's just not much you currently CAN do. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Is it possible that the server times out? Make sure your server's connection doesn't time out. I know this can happen sometimes and so Netscape will just finish the page at that point because it's not receiving any more data. Usually the browser will also complain that the network connection was broken by a peer or something like that. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back