Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What can you tell me about Net App equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icimikec

Vendor
Sep 10, 2003
US
I have an opportunity to purchase some used Network Appliance equipment at a cheap price. However, I am not familiar with this manufacturer. Who uses this gear? is it a good option? My Internet search has not provided me with a lot of answers, but has led my here. I guess my main question is if there is a demand for Net App equipment and if so, by whom?

icimikec,

I am also looking onto NetApp as a solution for data replication and disaster recovery. I have only just started to research a few companies; NetApp, VERITAS, Storage Tek and just having a duplicate SAN solution.

So far it looks like Net App is the best choice. The hardware looks solid and look like it is easy to expand as the need arises. The software to assist with data recovery and backup looks solid as well. I have been getting some good information from They have posted quite a few good articles on Net App plus a variety of other providers as well.

Hope it helps,
Jesse

We have just installed 2 Fas250's to provide backed exchange storage in the Uk and Germany and also to provide file serving on those 2 sites.

Both are using Iscsi for the Exchange database and logs Drives, it works very well and replicates the data to its conterpart, so in the event of a failure the data is on the remote site ready to go.

Replication is async, and they have some good exchange intergration to make sure the exchange data base is valid after snapshoting it.

To recover a 32GB database to a backup that was 3 hours old took less than 15 mins.

Its so good we are in the process of buying some more for our US sites. Very cost effective and is an established product, unlike EMC's Iscsi box which is their 3rd attempt.

I would try and find a reseller that know what they are doing though, some don't seem that great.

Cheers

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back