Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What can we do with this serial connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I found a Matsui (UK Dixons own brand) Set Top Box. Noticed that at the back it has an RS232 interface.

1) Can we actually do anything with this RS232 interface other than download updates?
2) Is there a manual for the serial interface? I did a trawl on the internet but couldn't find anything - maybe I was using the wrong keywords.

A model number to see if anyone could find anything, might help. But likely it was for updates, and testing only.

All it says is

PING(2.0) MATSUI DTR-2 DVB 830 M.SLV

SAP No 10028887 08/04
SW Ver 3.11

Presumably the 08/04 is August 2004.

ok, so the Matsui DTR-2 serial port can be used to update the firmware of the box using hyperterm. no other uses are discussed, but as it is an rs-232 and takes terminal commands, I would think you could use it to control the unit, and run some tests also, but how, is another think all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back