Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What can I do to learn how to use a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyadmin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
Hello!

I'm new as new can be when it comes to cisco routers and routers in general. Are there any resources out there that I can use to lean about the very basics (like basics of command line in routers and what everything means) in routing to the advanced commands.

Where can I can to learn anything and everything about routers it commands and the different functions?

The most comprehensive way you can learn about routers is through the Cisco Networking Academy. Preferably with hands on experience, you can learn to program a router to complete operational capacity within 10 minutes. It wouldn't hurt to buy the CCNA textbooks as well. CCNA is the entry-level Cisco certification, and teaches what is needed to be a network administrator, of which routers are a significant portion. Todd Lamely also makes a good book about it, and there are sure to be other web-based resources.

I would recommend buying a used 2501 router on ebay. Its the perfect router to learn on. You can pick one up for about $200.

Buy a CCNA book and do all of the labs on the 2501. The Todd Lammle book (mentioned above) is a very popular CCNA book.

Chris

Thank you both for pointing me in a direction! I look forward to any more help that anyone can advise!

Thanks Again!
Rgrds!
Dyadmin

You couldn't read all there is on in three lifetimes. If your company has a partner relationship with Cisco, you can access hundreds of remote labs too.

How do you become a partner with Cisco? We're already registered users on Cisco's website. What kind of labs are these? I'm assuming that they give you telnet access to a bunch of different equipment for testing purposes?

Chris

Becoming a full partner requires some time. You have to do a certain volume of business, etc. etc. I don't know exactly what is required to quailify for Partner E-learning Connection:

I think the labs might be simulators, but it could very well be telnet to actual equipment. I haven't used them much myself but did try them out about a year ago. It's better than nothing if you don't have your own toys.

the labs are simulation, and are create using Flash. Its actually quite impressive and rather "real"

Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

For me, try to get a couple of 2500 series router, and try to connect it together. Type ? command always useful for me.

also, the configuration guides and command references are extremely beneficial for anyone, beginner or advanced....

they are found on the documentation CD. Or you can find them on the website here

just click on the drop down for IOS version and choose the IOS version that you are using Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back