Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what browser and version is running on desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2010
US
All-

Is there a vbscript I can test out that will list -based on one or many desktops -what browser type and version is running on them?

Would be great if I could run from domain member server and pipe out the results based on computer name, then the browser and ver it's running...

Thanks for any help!
SGT

I'm sure there is?

-Geates

"I hope I can chill and see the change - stop the bleed inside and feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

Are you looking to find out the default browser? The only way I can think of to get what you want is to look at the registry key where this is stored (at least to find out the executable name, which you can use to determine the browser). Googling "registry default browser" shows some results, including the link below. It explains the keys to look for, as well as some of the pitfalls of this method.:

Once you know the default browser, you can use the Win32_SoftwareFeature WMI class to search for that broswer, and extract the verison number.

Awkward and potentially slow, but it may work. I'm interested if there is a better method out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back