Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What brands do you recommend for Cat5e 350mhz and Coax RG6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilep

Programmer
Nov 12, 2007
CA
My house is being built. I am looking for a box of Cat5e 350mhz and a box of Coax RG6, 1000 ft each to wire the entire house. Planning gigabit ethernet on the Cat5e and HDTV on the Coax.

I presume for Cat5e I need solid bulk cable. Also, what is UTP ? For Coax, do I need quad-shielded ?

Any brands you recommend ? How about blackbox (GigaBase)

Thanks in advance !

Cilep

rather than worrying over brands I would be looking at providing conduit to all locations

in my opinion one brand name is as good as another as long as its rated for the use

I've never really worked with Blackbox, so I can't say either way on that one. You can never really go wrong with General Cable, or Commscope on your coax. yes, you want Quad RG6. It sounds like you want to do it right, and that's the way to go. Make sure you look at the specs on the boxes of cable, or go to a supply house and have the sales staff help you out.

Best of luck.

matt

I agree with skip that the manufacture is less a concern than the cable. Add some sort of conduit now and you will thank yourself through the years.

Personally I like the Berk-Tek stuff. Berk-Tek Lanmark 350 Plenum, Green Box, Manufacturer Part No 10032086, 1000 ft/box

I have also found that Black box stuff to be pricey.

On the RG coax use the RG-6 and you will be OK for your TV needs. I like the CommScope coax cable for this. I am not sure of your location, but I would look at Graybar or Accu-Tech for these items and your jacks and patch panels.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Additionally you may want to look at prebundled cable. Most include 2 RG6 cables and 2 Cat 5e cables and you pull it in as one bundled cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back