Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are your backup routines??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2005
US
After watching my Exchange backups taking about 18-20 hours on a nighly basis I am thinking there has to be a different way to do this. Currently we use Veritas BackupExec 9.1 (will be upgrading to v 10) with an Exchange Agent. I do a full Store and mailbox backup every night which is why it must be taking so freaking long. My question is, how can I get the best of both worlds, fast backups and the ability to recover from a disaster if needed?? We have an SDLT 320 internal tape drive backing up about 44 GB worth of mailboxes/stores. Thanks for any suggestions.

In your situation, I'd stop backing up the mailboxes and buy a copy of Aelita Recovery Manager. This will cut you down to probably 8 hours (check log for exact time). Backing up the store gives DR and Aelita allows email level restore from store level backup when using Backup Exec.

Can I just add to this - and at the same time ask my own question.

We have a similar situation, backups take too long.

Currently we back up the whole store, the individual mailboxes and the priv1.edb database file (which is 10GB on its own)

My question is, do I really need to back up the edb file if I'm backing up the other two. I'm using BackupExec 9.1

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back