Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the risks if the Admin2 password is compromised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshbell

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2008
US
I don't have a good understanding of the security structure for the CS1000. If the Admin2 password is compromised (for example, if it's easily guessable) what would the security risks be? Is Admin2 more privileged than Admin1?

Admin2 password can change every other password including admin1. It's also required to access debug mode.

Someone with this password can lock you out of the PBX or get into debug and make corrupt database.

However, with release 6.0, password and access management was greatly improved.

With release 7.0 passwords no longer resides on PBX core cpu but on a security managemnt application on a signaling server.

As stated above, but access to pdt is also a major concern as many sites still keep the defaults!. Release 6 has security along the lines of a radius server.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

plus if you can get the admin2 password you can change what displays on the phonesets when they are idle.

Like "I hate my boss

Thanks, all.

Our Admin2 password, which was set by the vendor, was very insecure. However, they walked us through changing it (log in as Admin2, LD 17, CHG, PWD, enter through the prompts until the ACCOUNT_REQ, CHG at that prompt, the enter the username and then the password). All set now.

The simplist security trick I heard a guy say was "set the modem to ring 10 times before it answers"

Who would wait 10 rings!? LOL

--
GHTROUT.com - Help for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators
--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back