Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Are The Proper Steps To Begin A 2 Color Indd File

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWM

Technical User
May 15, 2004
US
I am working in Indesign 3. How do I setup a file for 2 spot colors (or three)? Is there a dialog box to check this desired output? I will be placing several PDF files within this document for ouput as a single PDF document. Do I need to accurately designate these imported PDF files for 2 color processing before importing?
For example, I want all borders of the imported PDF's to be 100% Spartan Red. How would I go about producing these PDF's so that the result is a 2 color file that can be separated by the printer, resulting in 2 plates... 100% black and 100% Spartan Red. Can you apply color to a PDF file placed into Indesign? ( I would like to avoid the following extra steps)
My present approach is opening the final PDF composite in Photoshop and using the fill bucket to apply color where desired, saving it as a 2 layer PDF, one layer red, the other black. Unfortunately, these Photoshop PDF's sizes become too large to email. Reducing the PDF size in Acrobat causes loss of quality issues.
Is my approach way off base?
KWM

I reworked my question and reposted. I couldn't find the required printing options referred to in response to my earlier posting. Does a Postscript printer need to be connected to apply the previously suggested solutions?

I'm not completely on top of the ins and outs of technical ?'s but I think there are 2 options to actually being able to color an image in InDesign---that is 1.) if it is a bitmap image or 2.) if it is vector artwork.
I probably am not understanding you and am going to sound pretty dumb--if you just want a PMS red border why don't you just place the artwork and create the spot colors in InDesign to create the borders?

If you have any sort of Postscript driver (Generic PS driver, Adobe Acrobat, etc) installed, then you can do this easily.

Go to print, select the correct driver to use, go under Options and choose Separations.

All there is to it. It will print each separation as it's own page. If you have 3 colors and 2 pages in the final, then the resulting document will have 6 pages, 2 for each color separation.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back