Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the 'Norm' Web Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way of finding out or if there was an industry concidered 'norm' for web stats.

EG.

What is an acceptable CTR
What are normal 'bounce' rates
What is normal page views vs hits
What's a normal average page view time..

etc.. It's great having these stats, but how do I translate this to tangible, usefull information.

How long should a keyword be running with no impressions before you decide to kill it as it obviously isn't being used. (though this may not be the case, so how do I know if it's too low CPC or if the keyword isn't being used)

What's an acceptable or standard conversion rate, and how do you tell if the clicks that don't convert are because they don't like the landing page or because they weren't looking for the product offered.

basically how do I make sense of all this analytical information so i can work out what needs tweaking, or indeed , what's working and should be left alone.

Thanks 1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

What is an acceptable CTR
One that makes more than it costs.

What is normal page views vs hits
Impossible to say.
If your page has 200 images (for example) the hits to views ratio would be 200:1
If you only have 2 images the ratio is 2:1
Excluding script files & stylesheets etc for simplicity

As for the others, there is no such thing as an average. You have to work out what is best for your pages.

What's an acceptable or standard conversion rate
Again this is one that earns more than it costs

how do you tell if the clicks that don't convert are because they don't like the landing page or because they weren't looking for the product offered
This is where you need to be running A/B testing for conversion rates on different copy.
You could also run a simple "Help Us Improve" survey on the page to get visitors reactions

maybe having a read through would shed some light on your questions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back