Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what are the limitations or possibilities with tracking flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonindus

Programmer
Dec 7, 2006
GB
i've got a client that built an entire site in Flash, and before i went back to tell them they couldn't apply any tracking to it i did a search to see if it was possible. I came up with two options; google analytics and mochibot.

i would prefer to use google analtyics, and google explains that you can track events, meaning that you can add a labeled tag to an event... for instance you can add a tag to a button. when someone triggers that event they register as a count, we could probably interpret that as a page view, and logic tells me that i can count the activities of each event in the flash app as their own page view.

mochibot doesn't provide a lot of info on their website but briefly mentions that you can you can track performance and learn where traffic is coming from, quote.. 'The Host Report gives traffic results for each website hosting your Flash content'.

if anyone has actually used google analytics or mochibot to track flash can you tell me if its possible to do the following...

1) track google ppc adwords... if someone clicks a ppc adword and lands somewhere within the flash app, can i get numbers on how many clicked from a particular keyword then track their behaviour throughout the flash app (i.e. what they did next, conversion funnels, entry & exit, etc?)

2) what about people who arrive directly to the site and complete the flash drop down menu to specify which advertising source they originated from? can i also track their behaviour throughout the flash app?

i checked out imptech flashstats and its quite basic, and i dont think it could handle what i need to do. for example referrer just tells you the hosting site the user arrived from, i'm not sure if it would tell you the entire url to indicate what page? but either way it appears limited.

the beauty of google analytics is that it will tell you what keywords people use to arrive at your site, and it'll give you a report on ppc clicks in relation to conversion goals.

so i'm pretty much asking if anyone has experience being able to do tracking on this level by either configuring google analytics to flash events or using some other type of tracking system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back