Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the disadvantages of disabling Connection Pooling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apexbs

Technical User
Jun 2, 2002
CA
Hi ;

I have been facing problem in connection pooling for two weeks and I did search each website and forum and I noticed that this is one the most comman problem using ASP.NET with VB.NET and SQL Server 2000. I went thru my application and checked for any open connection and I ensured there is no connection leakage. I turned ON SQL Profiler only for Connections and I noticed that after closing and destroying connections, it removes from the SQL Server pool after 6 minutes. For that reason if there more than 100 connections in a pool then it breaks the website and gave time out error.

In the end, I turned OFF the connection pooling using Pooling = false in the connection string. Now, the website is working fine but I am wondering about the disadvantage of disabling Connection Pooling. One thing is clear it will slow , any other in long term.

Thanks.

1) Slow performance, as each connection must be created and authenticated from scratch each time.

2) Higher connection usage (since SQL Server is licensed per-connection, this could cost you money)

I would suggest that if you're using C# you investigate the "using" keyword to make sure your connection is being destroyed after it's no longer needed.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back