Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the big differences between Developper Suite 9i and DS 10g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparent

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2004
CA
Like the tittle says: "What are the big differences between Developper Suite 9i and DS 10g?"

We are scheduling a rollout to 10g from 9i but i fail to see the "obvious" differences!

Enlighten me please, anyone?

GBG (God Bless Geeks!!),

Thanks all,

Simon

What did you find when you read Oracle's free on-line books (at Oracle Technet), in particular the "What's new in this release" section at the beginning of each book related to the developer suite?

Not too suprising, it looks like they stopped advertising SQL*Plus as one of the reasons to buy iDS. Starting with Oracle9i the SQL*Plus became a freebee, whereas in 8i and earlier the copy of SQL*Plus that shipped with the database was only licensed for use in creating databases and issuing startup/shutdown/recovery commands. The copy of SQL*Plus that shipped with the Oracle Client was only supposed to be used for those purposes as well, unless you also bought the Programmer.

Other than that, iDS basically has the same software as before, but each piece of software has dozens of changes. I would say too numerous to list here.

-Mark

9i OCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back