Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the best ways to get job leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
As a small business owner for the last 3 years I have found the easiest part of my job is doing the work. Getting the work is a differnt story. What has worked for you? What doesn't work? I have tried mailed and hand delivered flyers, ads, colds calls, networking, even kijij and I have a fully lettered truck.
The most frustrating is to see someone I have spoken to use a competitor from an hour away. How do you get the word out that you are open for business?

Network, Network, Network, did I mention Network.

Go to user meetings, Chamber of Commerence meetings, business after hours, talk with others in your industry, watch craigs list and the like, take/give a local small college class. Face time!

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

References and Referrals. For jobs you have completed, do a follow-up to make sure the customer was satisfied with your work. Ask if you can use them as a reference or if they would refer your services to others. If not, find out why and what you could do to improve your service. Make sure you’re listed properly in directories and have a web presence. Look at your competitions marketing resources and do something to make your presence stand out. Do a charitable job at a local church or community outreach center and ask for a Reference Letter from the charitable group.

To get the word out of my work I do offline and online networking. I believe communication 2.0 is the key to get the best results of our work. What work for me? being Procial (productive + social). How do I do it online? Using collaboration tools such as: social networks, comment on blogs or forums, work with project software’s, wiki collaborations, etc.

Project Software

As mentioned, networking is a critical. I coach a lot of consultants starting you – although I haven’t been here in awhile - and advocate a direct, walk in the door and introduce yourself, approach. It is so unscientific it is absurd but is dramatically effective and fast.

Simple – one page resume/profile of sorts. Don’t try to be what you are NOT – ie: if you were a big company, then hire a sales rep, otherwise it is you and your wild talent.

“Hi.. I’m Fred. I do part-time projects and overflow computer technology work. Everything from PC setup and training and virus protection to supporting your network. This is a professional summary – a resume of sorts. May I leave it with you and find out who I could follow up with about this?”

Or something.. something that is easy to say, short, and simple for them to get their head around.

Then, get a card, make a note of when you visited, and any other pertinent information. Follow up in 2-3 days.

Numbers are your greatest asset. Once you have the client, don’t lose them, and ask for referrals.

Hope this help.

Matthew Moran
The IT Career Builder's Toolkit
The Matt Moran Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back