Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are most people doing for tape backups (weekly fulls, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US
We backup our server's data to our Backup server's raid5 array (1.6 TB capacity). A full backup right now is 700 GB, after a month's worth of incrementals, this can go towards 1 TB.

As of now we do monthly fulls to the harddrive backup server.

We are getting a Superloader3 DLT-S4 (800 native) tape library with an Ultra 320 SCSI connection directly to the backup server.

I am trying to plan on the # of tapes needed with some overflow accounted for (within 1 year probably).

What are most people doing when backing up harddrive backups to tape (a backup of a backup)..

My initial though was to use two tapes for each week in a month, allowing for overflow. Backup a full backup Monday night to the tape, a full backup of the HDD backup.. do incrementals to the tape each night through friday night, then take the tapes offsite. I would then bring the next weeks two tapes in on Monday and put them in to be run yet again for a Full the next week.

At the end of every quarter.. one of these sets would be held offsite, until the next quarter. At the end of the year, say Dec 31st (the last day of that week), i would take the two tapes offsite and that would that year's tape backup which would get held offsite permanently and archived (so 2 tapes a year are kept in an archive vault), but really these two tapes are just a backup of that last week in December, not really the whole year.

Any thoughts out there? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back