Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are good qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucozade

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2007
GB
Hi Guys

I have worked in IT for a couple of years and work in remote support for a large outsourcing company. I enjoy the job but, have taken a step down from my previous role to...

A) Get into a large company.
B) Fill in an experiance gap I had in my CV.

My long term goal is to work on network and IT systems infrastructure for the contracts we take on. So far I have done my A+, N+ and working through my CCNA. I am also studying towards my MCSE Server and think taking the security would be good to add on. I am doing this myself and as there is a payrise cap where I work I want to push for extra training. Looking at maybe Prince 2 for the project side that maybe needed with ITIL. Is there anything else I should consider that you think would be useful for me to attain? So I can get to where I want to get to. I should point out I work in the UK.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kind Regards

David

I recommend finishing the MCSE anyway. Most companies are only just beginning to adopt Windows 2008, and it will be years before Windows 2003 is completely retired. In the meantime you will need both Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 skills. Besides, MANY of those skills from 2003 are transferable to 2008.

Hi,

I think to go for your ITIL certifications in this current climate is a must, as it is a process based framework aiming at cost avoidance which as we all know it the credit crunch’s buzz word at the moment.
I have found that most jobs now require ITIL Foundation as a pre req even for helpdesk roles.

Other hot certs to get your hand on are Prince2 as correct project management is also a must have in today’s constantly evolving environment; also it opens up your employability.

It has been mentioned in a few studies that Microsoft certificates are now being under valued due to the paper pass element which I can understand however certs like CISM, CISA, CISSP will continue to be considered of value as they take into consideration actual work exp as well as test results.

Good luck on the cert search, my next one will be CISM so if anyone has any good study tips (not questions and answers) or advice on good study material please let me know

Dyl

Dyls
--------------------
ITIL V2 Service Manager (red badge),ITIL v3 Expert, IPRC, RCV, OSA,SO,ST, MCSA 2003, CWNA, Security+

Just to qualify those commments, ITIL is pretty big in European countries, but in the United States it is fairly uncommon to see people who either have ITIL certifications or who are pursuing applicants with ITIL certifications. Where you live/work can obviously have a big impact on what people want to see.

MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back