Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What application do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miluis

MIS
Nov 21, 2023
GB
Hi! I'm looking for a free application to connect to a remote computer. I'm about to start working remotely and need to access my office computer regularly. I used TeamViewer before, which is free for personal use, but I've heard it has some limitations. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your advice!

I don't think it's a question of which app you want to use, it should be a question of which app has your IT department approved and is expecting. You should ask them and they should provide you with the application.
As a freelance programmer and consultant, I deal with many clients and I have several remote access applications. Some clients use the same one, so it's just a question of profile. But I'm not the one saying "I use this to connect", they are saying "we've made a profile for you, use this program" and they give me a link. The application most used by my clients is Pulse Secure. It's practical for me because it automatically applies the profiles determined for each client.
That's my 2c :)

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Hi, you missed mentioning which operating system you're using. Anyway, among my favorites, I'd point out the following: AnyDesk, which supports file transfer but might have connection time limits, and Chrome Remote Desktop, with a file transfer tool but no remote printing. Also, give a try it's a new app super user-friendly, free and without any restrictions.
And as mentioned in the answer above, be sure to ask your IT department, they will tell you how best to do it.

On Windows, there is always RDP (mstsc). Problem is only one person can use the PC. You can't have two or more people viewing what is happening. For that you need VNC. The free version does not support SSH.
There is also a Linux to Windows RDP.

Remote desktop connection is the same as mstsc (Microsoft Terminal Server Client).

Here at work we use GoToAssist.

The nice thing about it is, I can throw the client on, say, a remote server, and then connect to it when I need to.

I don't know if they have a free version though.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

We've been using Jump Desktop. The free version works very well but the paid version has some perks.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back