Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobPouwelse

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
NL
I am currently running the evaluation version of CRServer and CRXI and have undertaken the following steps.
- Installed CRServer and let it install/create a CMS for me. I have also installed both the .NET and the Java viewers.
- Installed CRXI on the same pc and made a simple report which I published using the Repository Explorer logged onto the CMS.

Now I published the report in the user folder for my adminstrator account but when I log into the InfoViewer, I do not see the report object available. I can however expand the entire folder tree on the left of my screen and still I will not see ANY report objects (not even the sample reports). When I look in the CMC, I can see the objects in their respective folders. Did I miss a certain action I should have undertaken?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would like to at least get this system running before I judge the usefulness of CR for our company.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Pouwelse

Hi Rob,
what are you signing in to InfoViewer as eg administrator, guest etc ? It may be worth checking that the user that you are using to signin has sufficient privileges ie is in the correct security group and that the security group has sufficient privileges for the folder (including the report samples one).

ShortyA

I am signing in on my Administrator account and have full rights on the user folder of my Adminstrator (and any other folder aswell).

Still I do not see any objects in my viewer even though they are there in the CMC.

In CE10 the view you got by default was a Favourites. Is this the case in BoXi ie when you sign in do you see the normal folder list or is it a personalised view ? If it is a personalised view there may be a Preferences button towards the top right (this is where it was in CE10) which will allow you to change it.

When I log in I see both "My folders" and "Public folders". When I look in the preference screen, I see that it's set to 'Home'.

I am not that familiar with BoXi but have you tried using the search facility in InfoViewer to look for either the report samples or your report ?

If that doesn't work then I am going to have to throw this back open to BoXi experts I am afraid!
ShortyA

You might go into the Central mgmt console under bo applications and make sure settings for infoview are not causing the prob.

ShortyA: Nope, it didn't work.

pelajhia: What settings should I look for? I took a look and the only thing that struck me as a possible problem would be the options "view object or view latest instance of an object" and what type of default viewer it should use. I changed "view object" into "view latest instance of an object" but that didn't change anything. Also I set the default viewer to Java since I get a WCA plugin error with the .NET version.

Also, what struck me as odd was the fact that I keep getting errors like "showFolder is empty or has no object" or "undefined is empty or has no object"
I wouldn't be surprised if it said that when I have no published reports, but I do have published reports on the CMC.

Yes, that was probably the main setting which might be an issue, I was just curious if you had it set to 'latest instance'. With zero instances, this might cause a problem, but it sounds like you do not.

I am not sure publishing here is he best idea: "user folder for my adminstrator account"
Have you tried setting up a folder outside of the user folders and publishing there?
Also, please give more detail on the method of publishing you are using (basic steps - eg: via cmc or other route?).

I have just tried to create a folder using both the Java CMC and the .NET CMC and with both versions I get a different error. In the Java version it gives the error : "The Web server received incorrect or incomplete form data from the browser. Missing data argument: keywords" (with no keywords) and in the .NET version it gives the following error.

WCA plugin error
Message:An exception has occurred in the infoobject plugin with message: Er is een onbekende fout opgetreden. (Unknown error)
Stack Trace:
at BusinessObjects.Enterprise.WebComponentAdapter.WebComponent.Process(HttpContext context)
at BusinessObjects.Enterprise.WebComponentAdapter.WCAHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

I'll take a good look at how I published a report before and i'll try to explain it in detail.

I have just tried to publish a report (made in CR XI with a dbase file as database) using the publishing wizard. I put the file in the root folder (since I can't make a new one) and tried to find the file using the Java InfoViewer. To no avail though. After that I checked the root folder using the administration launchpad (CMC) and the object is there where I published it. I could even preview the object, but when I tried to go to History and run the object it gave me an error stating that it couldn't connect to the database (unsure if it means my dbase file or the CMS)

That's about as far as I could get today, sorry I've been kept preoccupied for most of the day.

Have you tried the basic CMC rather than 'Java CMC and the .NET CMC '? Sounds like your config on these leaves something to be desired. I am not familiar with configuring these, however if you get back to the basic CMC you might have better luck.

java cmc and .NET cmc is what you get with XI. I have had a problem with BOXI where the product installed but no samples were published and no objects could be added. Which I traced to being supplied with a licence key that did not allow the publication of Crystal Reports (!). So I wonder if there is any similarity to your problems.

However the errors you are getting don't quite match that scenario and I probably would wipe it and start again from scratch to see if I get the same again.

It might be because of the evaluation version (which is about to expire aswell, and I didn't even get it to work properly too). Also, I have already tried a total wipe because of the same WCA plugin error, it didn't get rid of it though.
I'm currently negotiating with a local business objects support centre on what type of crystal reports my company would benefit the most from. I hope I can actually get a real version to work.

Thanks for all your help regardless, but I'm afraid that it's either a faulty install/config on my part (although I don't see where I went wrong) or it's because I'm using an evaluation version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back