Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What affects when I switch to native mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I have 2 mixed-mode AD domains and 1 NT domain. I'm planning to switch the first AD domain to native mode. This was the first domain when the forest was first created. What affects will I notice on the second AD domain? Some users access resources on the first AD domain.

Thanks.

I believe Native mode will only support Windows 2000/XP clients, Win9x/ME will not be able to log into the domain.

I beleive that it relates to the the exchange servers mixed mode allows your win2k server to support pre 2000 servers, going to native mode means that only win2k servers can communicate.
If you change to Native mode you CANNOT change back to mixed mode.

Both of you are correct, although I'm not talking about exchange. My question is about the second domain. The first domain will be fine -- all clients are 2000/xp. Here's an example situation:

domain1.local is in mixed mode
domain2.local is in mixed mode

user@domain2.local accesses files and programs located on server.domain1.local

In mixed mode this scenario is currently working. Will it work once I change domain1.local to native mode?

Thanks.

The purpose of mixed mode is to let both Win2K and Windows NT domain controllers to coexist. Mixed mode provides the functionality that lets NT domain controllers offer domain services. If your second site is running a NT domain you cannot switch to Native mode. Native mode doesn’t support NT domain controllers; you can only have Win2K domain controllers. You can have NT workstations and member servers in native mode.

Also yes windows 98 clients can login to the domain if its running in native mode. I do this everyday without any issues.

From shughesPB's reply:
"If your second site is running a NT domain"

--second site is running mixed mode win2k domain.

That was an interesting comment about win98 clients, but I'm still curious about the specific scenario posted prior.

Sorry misread your post a little.

As long as the Domain you are wanting to change over to native mode does not need to talk to your NT domain mentioned in the first post you are ok because native mode will no longer recognize the NT domain. There should be no issue with one of your AD domains being in Native mode and the other AD domain in mixed mode because the mixed mode domain will recognize both domains.

If neither domain needs to recognize the NT domain then why not convert both to native mode?

Oh yeah about the win98 clients. (Sorry about the double post)

Yes they work perfectly in my domain that is running in Native mode. All you have to do is edit the lmhosts file on the 98 clients and add this line “Ip address of domain controller name of the domain controller #PRE #DOM:name of domain” without the quotes.

Ex: 192.168.XXX.XXX ADSERVER #PRE #DOM:Mydomain

Works like a charm. :)

One more thing to keep in mind and maybe start passing on, MS has retired NT, as of Jan 2005 there is no tech support from them, (Even pay as you play,) and as of Jan 2007, will retire even online support. Native mode will soon be the norm.
[cry]

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back