Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What’s the difference between the IoT security and antivirus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoTer

Technical User
May 4, 2018
JP
I am a little confused actually...Is there any difference between the IoT security and antivirus???
It seems they have some similarity,but...
would you like to help me make it out ?

Antivirus runs on computers. It (supposedly) checks each program and file on your computer for viruses. Of course, different antivirus company implements this differently.

IoT devices are not "computers" in the traditional sense of the word. IoT devices are more like computer components. These devices connect up to the internet and allow you to interact with them. IoT security is meant to prevents device from being hacked and used for nefarious things. Some security practices are simple, like using a password to allow connection to them. Some are more complex such as encrypting communications. If this way IoT security should also apply to tradition computers but are not what antivirus programs do.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Very insightful and educational, Thank you[glasses]

IoT is inevitable future, but still there are a lot of security concerns that scare me more than a bit...

How the manufacturers are going to standardize their IoT solutions?

How the manufacturers are going to standardize their IoT solutions

They probably aren't, well, at least not until the marketplace forces them to do so. Which may well not result in the best solution being the winner, just like the Betamax/VHS/Video2000 'format war' ended with the lowest quality of the three winning, simply because JVC made VHS a open standard technology, so was quickly adopted by other manufacturers.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back