Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WfWI 4.2 - User Information Dialog - USERNAME/LogonUser

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US

This may be a well known quirk, however I couldn't find any posts that point this out. So, I'll put it out there.

I've found that, by default, Wise for Windows Installer 4.2 (may be other versions as well, not sure), displays different information than what you would expect to see on the User Information Dialog.

By default, the Radio Button Group on this dialog (controls the property ApplicationUsers, which determines whether to install the program for All Users or just Current User) by default displays the [USERNAME] property in the button labeled "Only for Me".

Code:
Only for &me ([USERNAME])

This doesn't make sense to me, as the [USERNAME] property isn't always the name of the current logged in user. I believe that if you're controlling per-user configuration, such as this Radio Button Group does, that it would be best to change the Radio Button to display [LogonUser] instead.

Code:
Only for &me ([LogonUser])

To sum it up, let's say your computer's username is set to a department name, the company president's name, your boss's name, etc. However, you are logged in as apowers004. By default, you might see:

Code:
Only for me (Accounting)

With this change, you would see:

Code:
Only for me (apowers004)

This seems more relevant to what the option is referring.

Just trying to put as much out here as possible, since helpful information in this forum seems pretty few and far between. Every little bit counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back