Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WFICACE error when printing via ICA session to my WYSE 3360SE Winterms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2003
US
Hello, I have two Wyse 3360SE Winterms. One has ICA Client 6.3, the other 6.0. I am manually creating static printers. I am printing to an HP Deskjet 3820 (via parallel port), using the 550C Deskjet driver built into Windows 2000. This seemed to work fine when I first loaded my Terminal Server. I could print anything I wanted. I'm running XPa FR2, with Win 2K SP2 (SP3 is too buggy with redirected printing). Now, I can print just fine if I connect via RDP, but if I connect via ICA, I can only print small text files from Notepad. If I try to print a Windows test page, or if I print a web page, I get the following error "WFICACE has preformed an Illegal operation and will be terminated." On my Winterms, I am not using the option to use the Autocreate Printing (seems to be the only way I can get printing to work with these). Since both my Winterms have the same problem yet with different ICA clients, and I can print via RDP no problem, it has to be a Citrix configuration issue. This is one of those "I've been staring at it too long, I need a fresh pair of eyes," scenarios. I'm sure its something simple, but any suggestions for a fresh look at this would be appreciated.
I know the port mapping is right, I can print via Notepad.

Matt J.

I had this problem on all my CE based winterms. The only thing that would fix it was a firmware upgrade on the terminal. This also fixed some other issues such as black blocks when trying to type in Word.

Thanks for the responses. Turns out, there is a known issue with these WYSE Winterms. Apparently, Microsoft has made some changes with redirected printing in the last couple of service packs for Win2k server. I just received an e-mail from WYSE tech support today, stating they still have no resolution. They thought a new ICA client version would fix it, but apparently not. I just went out and bought a Neoware Linux terminal. It has full RDP/ICA support out of the box, its faster, much cheaper, and because its Linux, the printing problems are gone.

Matt

Newoware rocks... Wyse winterms work... but I've had so many hardware problems alone, with NIC's or something else just going bad overnight I prefer not to use them. And it always seems to happen right after the warranty ends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back