Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive is not working, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmunster123

Technical User
May 22, 2012
US
I have an old WD mybook hard drive that no longer works, when I plug it in the green light just blinks. Can I take out the actual hard drive inside and get the data off it somehow? Thanks.

You can try, depends on hold it is, sometime during the run, they decided to encrypt the data and tie it to the logic card of the box, so if the drive is removed, it won't see the data.

As stated - DEPENDS on (in order)
1. as above, encryption = no go. You are hosed.
2. drive is actually really toasty, nothing to do with case = seek professional restore.

You can put it in another PC as a 2nd drive and try to see the contents and/or run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool on it. For running the tool, you may want to disconnect the main hard drive and boot to a CD that has the tool on it.

If you need the data badly enough, you can try to send it out for recovery. $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back